August 4, 2013

Teeny Tiny

I taught a teeny tiny Sunday School class this morning. Six pairs of ears heard the Word. Six faces laughed at my corny jokes. As we discussed David and Goliath, I regretted not finding a sling shot for them to examine. We did discuss some deeper issues today with these seasoned, elementary school aged theologians. 

Today, we explored the courage David needed to face a giant; that courage came from two experiences. The first experience had been on the (sheep herding) job training: fighting a lion and a bear to protect his flock. The other was a deep down spiritual reaction to the taunts of the 9 foot tall Philistine. I Samuel 16 & 17 reveal that David was motivated to act when Goliath defied God. When the Most High was mocked, David knew he must take action.

My class can tell you that the power of God in David defeated Goliath. But I am praying for them to also know that the power of God can banish a spirit of fear when they lie down at night. I am praying for them to feel the boldness of the Holy Spirit when God's enemies mock Him or marginalize His people. May this teeny tiny class remain just a stone's throw from God's power throughout their lives!

2 Corinthians 4:7 | I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

Philippians 1:6 | He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. 


No comments:

Post a Comment