January 31, 2010

The influence of encouragement - part 3

Last week, I shared about the encouraging environment that I was offered as a child. My mother was very specific in her prayers and with her words. (She even wrote poems and scriptures on my paper bag lunches in high school.) I had no doubt that she was trusting God to lead me on the path He made just for me. It was up to me to seek Him and to eventually believe for myself as well.

Now, let's look at our circle of influence. Who is listening to us each day? Our family? Our staff? Our friends? Are we looking for ways to encourage or are we just saying whatever comes to mind?Remember that encouragement should lead us to a confidence in the Lord, not just confidence in general. Self confidence is sometimes based on talent or ability. Self confidence may be the result of growing up loved and supported. These are fine, but only a confidence in the Lord's plan and His power will remain long after our natural abilities and charm are wearing down. Godly encouragement is not cheerleading; it is reminding others of what God's Word already says about them.

Let's offer (and pray to receive) that kind of influence.

Psalm 71:5-6 - For you have been my hope, O Sovereign Lord, my confidence since my youth. From birth, I have relied on you; you have brought me forth from my mother's womb. I will ever praise you.

1 comment: