December 5, 2016

December 5: The gift of sowing

Another thought on giving from 2 Corinthians 9. . .

My great grandmother was a seamstress who made beautiful formal gowns, but that is not the type of sowing that 2 Corinthians 9 references. Sowing generously, according to verse 6, automatically results in reaping generously. These farming terms are not the common household words that they once were. They are most likely tucked away in the same dictionary that holds my sewing vocabulary. Excuse me while I am make a note to sew a button on something soon before I lose the skill altogether. OK. Let’s return to that generous farmer. That farmer can plan on receiving a generous crop. Whoever sows generously will reap generously. The guy who plants a small garden and sows sparingly should likewise plan on reaping sparingly. Whoever sows sparingly will reap sparingly. (2 Corinthians 9:6)

It is a simple idea, but it can be hard to live out. Especially when we ourselves are in need. When we are economizing and are living sparingly in most areas, praying to have what we need in the coming days, praying to have enough until the next paycheck arrives, we are careful and thoughtful. It is not our turn to be crazy big flashy givers. That is ok. Instead of feeling accused by this verse, we should try to see how God wants to move us.

Just where does He want us to land on the issue of giving? If we are currently just giving what we can spare, we need to ask God to transform us into hilarious, cheerful givers. I want the gift of giving, a supernatural Holy Spirit led life. A life that comes with a Matthew 6:3 "my right hand doesn’t know what my left hand is giving to those in need" level of sowing. I want to sow into people and ministries that are planning to plant big fields. In these fields, I can be a generous sower. In those big fields, I will have room to grow as a giver.

No comments:

Post a Comment