December 16, 2016

December 15: When he speaks

So, as amazing as the miracle births of cousins baby John and baby Jesus are, there is more to the story of Zechariah and his faith story. I always think of Zechariah when I know that the Holy Spirit is asking for my silence. As many of my friends and family know about me, I say more than I am ever asked to say on a given subject. Many Words would be my Native American name. My temptation to over explain is a real struggle. Most of my sin life involves my words. James Chapter 3 teaches about taming the tongue. The Holy Spirit has assigned this to me as homework so. many. times.

Well, I can certainly relate to my amigo Zechariah the priest, who blurted out "How can I be sure of this?" He doubted the miracle message about his barren wife having a baby, and the messenger named Gabriel quickly rebuked him.

"I am Gabriel. I stand in the presence of God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to tell you this good news. And now you will be silent and not be able to speak until the day this happens. . ."

Today, I want to focus on receiving good news when I hear it. I want to lay aside doubt. I want to listen more and talk less, so that God does not need to require my silence. Remember that the Lord silenced Zechariah only until the baby was born. Then, no restraint was needed. Even "Be still and know that I am God." has a specific purpose and a specific timeline. God is moving. He is breathing life. He is even telling us about it.

But just like a new baby needs to time to grow and develop, the good work that God is doing in our lives may need that too.


No comments:

Post a Comment