July 3, 2011

Employees Must Wash Hands

[Not in your own strength] for it is God Who is all the while effectually at work in you
Oh, the joys of work life. One of our favorite family anecdotes is when my brother David graduated from college and began working at his first job in Atlanta. One weekend, while visiting with our Mobile, Ala. family, our 7 year old nephew reminded him "that you better wash your hands in the restroom now that you are an employee." It makes me laugh to think how many times he probably read that sign and misunderstood its meaning. 

[energizing and creating in you the power and desire],
Over the past dozen years as a full time mom, I have frequently worked part time jobs as well. Eight years ago, I became ministry- minded. The Holy Spirit nudged me to start writing and sharing devotionals that could encourage other moms. Hosting play and pray dates was my favorite part, I think. Three years ago, Dan and I home schooled the girls. That year, we toured the Southeast for me to speak and lead Encouragement Events for the friends of our friends. Writing workbooks that complemented live events was fruitful. Devoted Living Media continues, but is primarily a website ministry at present.

both to will and to work
At the end of April 2011, I accepted a six week substitute teaching job at our daughters' school. Something amazing happened to me. I fell in love with teaching. Let me qualify that statement: I fell in love with this age group, at that school, working for that principal. When that principal offered me a full time job at that school with that age group (high school) for this new year, I joyfully accepted.

for His good pleasure
So, my pursuit of a corporate marketing position has been detoured, and I'm peaceful about it. Dan and I had already planned for me to return to work this year. My resume was posted on Monster.com. My inbox was filled with job listings in my area. This family was almost ready for its full time mom to return to the marketplace. Well, one kid was crying about it, because she admittedly does not like change of any kind.

and satisfaction and delight.
All three kids were already registered to be in school together this year: William in K-4, Charlotte in 3rd grade, and Julia in 8th grade. We now understand that God planned for me to be there too.

- Philippians 2:13 from the Amplified Bible


2 comments:

  1. Leigh Ann,

    I am SO happy for you & your family. What an exciting and fruitful journey you are all on together!

    I am forever changed and grateful for the season I had in the play and pray dates with you. :)

    God is so faithful, always on time, and full of such sweet and unexpected blessings.

    Looking forward to hearing all the praises and testimonies soon when all four of you are at the same school!

    Love you guys!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Leigh Ann,

    I love how God has all of you "in school" together...kind of a reverse home schooling :-)

    I always enjoy reading your encouraging words. Thank you for being an example of unwavering focus on the Lord! You are always an inspiration when I feel like wavering!

    It was great to see you and I hope we can get together sometime before you go back to work :-)

    Love to you all,
    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete