September 21, 2010

Nerds are Cool

OK, it's time for me to come clean and admit that I live in a household of nerds. We are. There's no denying it. We are each nerdy about different things but all nerdy about God's Word. It hit me last night that the nerdiness of the parents here is amusement for the children.

Dan and I enjoy a few minutes with Julia, our 12 year old, each night after her brother and sister are sound asleep. We hear about her day and often tell her that we're so proud of her. She then goes to read in her room or to sleep, depending on the day she's had.

Last night, we chatted with her and then bid her good night. Julia grabbed her Bible from her backpack to go read before bed. I felt the mood change in the room. Dan and I both grinned at each other and then at her. We were wanting to be cool, but were both very curious about what passage she was planning to read. I eagerly asked her if she had a verse selected or if she wanted a suggestion. She was open to my suggestion.

I started my little speech: "I was reading Ephesians 4 today. You may want to try that. Take a few verses at a time. There's a lot in there. Good stuff."

Dan laughed and added, "Or Proverbs 12. That's what I studied today. But whatever you want. No big deal. I'm sure Mommy's chapter is fine too."

We are all three laughing by this time. NERDS! All of us. Bible Nerds, no less. But I'm not kidding. It is so fun to read on your own and then go discuss it. It's so special to have someone to talk to about what you are learning. It's powerful to discuss and to testify about the themes in His Word. It stays with you so much longer. Dan and I are seeing that in each other. And we were thrilled to be able to include Jules into that with us.

This morning, I asked whose passage she read last night. Not that it's a competition or anything.
As the darling daughter that she is, she had read both of our chapters! She said that actually fit together and she took away a good teaching on righteousness. That's so interesting! She's so cool. God is so cool. And we are so nerdy.

We have our own little book club developing here. We are on a new level now that Julia is getting older, but Little Brother and Little Sis are not left out. Veggie Tales has sparked great interest in Bible characters for all of our kids (and us too!). It's fun to go back to the Bible and show what the Veggie stories changed from the actual events for silliness. William loves action like David and Goliath. He does a slapstick, one- man drama, re-enacting David whirling his slingshot and then Goliath getting hit with the stones and falling down.

Charlotte seems so quiet while we are all talking and sharing, and then days later she shares a major insight with us. We never know what she's absorbing until she talks about it later, but now we know not to dismiss her. She is listening! And she is wise. She even applies verses to specific situations with her friends and how she relates to them. God's word is bringing wisdom into this house.

Families will develop similar interests and habits. Each person in the family may show it or share about it, according to their own personality. But it is happening. It may be an attitude or an openness that gets passed on to your kids. But it is happening. They live with us, and they learn from us. I do understand that we are a little strange about this. Nerdy, you might say.

Does it surprise you that Dan's dad had several Bibles open at a time? He compared different commentaries and translations while preparing his Sunday School lessons. He was an intriguing Bible teacher. Dan's mom read her Bible every morning; she sang about, and talked about her faith on a daily basis in front of her kids. That's where Dan called home.

My parents encouraged us to talk to them about God's Word when we were growing up. They always welcomed any analysis or discussion about spiritual things. I never remember them turning me away with my questions or my discoveries. I saw Dad reading Proverbs early in the morning. Mom is still my favorite Bible nerd of all. I miss our talks when busy life squeezes out our extended discussions.

But do not be deceived: I am not organized about family devotionals. We are not currently on a regular routine about this. (It does produce fruit when we make it a priority though.) We are just living and praying and studying and seeking as part of our normal, everyday life. Word Nerds: one and all!

1 comment:

  1. Nerd!!! Wish I was a bit more nerdy though...

    ReplyDelete