December 9, 2008

Countdown Clock

We are in the heart of our traditional December activities. Our middle daughter is 6 years old today. Sharing her birthday month with Jesus creates an extraordinary backdrop for her festivities. We are incorporating her celebration into our family's Christmas fun. In past years, we decorated the house on her birthday or made gingerbread houses at her party. Tonight, we had our first official drive of the season to look at Christmas lights.

One of the houses we saw had a countdown clock. "16 days", it said. It ticked away the hours, minutes and seconds as well. Normally, I think of my endless shopping list. I would read that and tally the number of remaining shopping days. I have been thinking, tonight, about a different list.

How many days are left in this year? It's time for me to take stock of where I am on the obedience list. Have I completed the spiritual assignments that the Lord has given me? Hmmm. I may need to check that list twice.

James 3:17: But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy.

No comments:

Post a Comment